Itkhori, a block headquarter within Chatra district. Itkhori lies north of Hazaribagh, about 16 kms west of Chouparan to be more precise. It is a wonderful place with abundance of historic reminiscences and archaeological remnants demonstrating a breath-taking saga of religious tolerance and cultural unity. More than 1200 years ago the great Pala and Gupta emperors looked out from the terrace of the magnificent Maa Bhadrakali temple complex built during 9th Century. The workmanship of the images and statues indicate a highly developed heritage of skills in the finer arts. And if wonders were to follow wonders, the Shiva-linga in the adjacent temple has no less than 1008 ‘lingams’ carved into its surface. Images of 104 Bodhisattvas and 4 principal Buddha’s are sculpted on each side of a ‘stupa’-like structure.
One of the rock inscriptions of Mahendra Pala at Itkhori indicates that the Pratihara ruler came in control of the bordering areas of Chotanagpur during second half of the 9th century A.D.
All these magical remnants of the past are to be found at Itkhori, a village north of Hazaribagh, an ancient place where the religion and cultures of Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism, came and blended centuries ago. There are various Buddhist Relics at Itkhori dated from 200 B.C to 1200 A.D. Itkhori’s name also has a legend connected to Buddhism. When the aunt of Lord Buddha could not distract him from meditating she gave up, goes the legend saying. If/ Khoyi (lost here) that eventually distorted to become Itkhori, the name of the place.